Cleaning Glock - In a previous installment of firearms cleaning articles, I discussed how to clean the firearm on an AR-15 rifle. Cleaning a semi-automatic pistol is similar to cleaning a rifle, except that it takes less time due to the smaller gun.

Therefore, my personal cleaning procedure for general pistol cleaning is similar to a rifle like an AR-15 except for size. When discussing pistol clearance, I will use the Glock 17 (Gen 3) as an example. The Glock pistol is very versatile, so it is a good pistol to use for demonstrations. Additionally, cleaning other semi-automatic pistols is done in much the same way.

Cleaning Glock

Cleaning Glock

I'll break the Glock into these subgroups just like I did with the AR-15 for clarity. But there are three parts groups for Glock pistols:

Glock 17 Gen5 9mm Pistol

I started by spraying down the slide and barrel with Mpro-7 gun cleaner. I like to dip the Mpro-7 in sugar to loosen dried fouling for easier cleaning. While this is happening, I start the first slide.

Cleaning the slide is very easy. I use a nylon brush to clean and raise any dried flake on the slide. Then I use a shop towel with Mpro-7 to clean the interior and exterior surfaces of the slide.

That's too much for a slide. I don't remove the inside of the slide to clear the post range. Unless the gun is wet (eg submerged in water, rained on), I don't leave the slide inserts to clean.

After cleaning the slide, I move on to cleaning the barrel. I brush the sugar a few times to remove the stench from the sugar fields.

Buy Ironclad Cleaning Mat Compatible For Glock

After brushing off the burr, I go over the wet (Mpro-7) and dry screws a few times in a Pierce-style jig to ensure there are at least no fouling lines on the screws.

After cleaning the bore, I clean the exterior of the barrel, including the barrel hood area, spring spring area, and chamber area, of any fouling with a nylon brush and shop towel.

Next I spray the chamber and bore with brake cleaner to get rid of residue and gun cleaner.

Cleaning Glock

The last step is to clean the frame. I usually don't need to do much in this area. What I like to do is clean the slide rails on the frame with a nylon brush and a shop towel with Mpro-7. I also clean all visible surfaces of the trigger group (trigger bar, ejector, housing, etc.). I thoroughly clean the frame surfaces as well as the inside of the magazine with a shop towel wet with Mpro-7.

Tekmat Tekr17glock4243 Original Cleaning Mat Glock 42/43 Parts Diagram 11\

After cleaning everything, I started lubricating the Glock with Slip2000 EWL. I put an oil patch through the bore to cover the shiny surface from rusting. I clean the barrel with a shop towel and slip the 2000 EWL. I also put a coating of oil on the inside and outside surfaces of the slide and put extra oil on the slide rail grooves.

Then I put the pistol back together, oil the barrel hood area, cycle the slide a few times, and then, wipe the gun down with a shop towel to remove the excess oil.

This is my procedure for cleaning a Glock pistol. While this article discusses how to clean a pistol, this is not the only way to clean it, and I think the procedures I describe are similar to how most pistols are cleaned. Owners clean their handguns. The Glock 19 is America's most popular rifle, and for good reason. Reliable, accurate and easy to handle, it's the defensive pistol of choice for everyone from soccer moms to special operators. However, it should be cleaned and lubricated regularly. We show you how to clean your Glock 19 in the video and tutorial below.

Kevin: I'm here with Jeff Street. Jeff is the owner and lead instructor at Step by Step Gun Training, and is a certified Glock armorer, and somewhat of a Glock enthusiast. So, my first question for you Jeff is how often should people clean a Glock 19? There are many different opinions on this. How do you see it?

Amazon.com: Gaming Mousepad Large Gun Cleaning Mat Goliathus Speed Extended Violent Mouse Pad Barrett Gun Pad Gun Disassembling Mousepad Preparation For Battle (glock 16.9 * 11in)

Jeff: If you're new to the Glock platform, you should clean it every time you use it. It will help you figure out how to look and feel when everything is right. That way if something goes wrong down the road, you'll be able to fix it before you have a real problem at the range.

Kevin: Spring doesn't have to be in two pieces so you'll know right away. You should not see a piece of metal with a clean break in it. That kind of thing is really illuminating.

Kevin: Now, if you're new to a gun, you should clean it a few times. Are you a more experienced shooter? If you take many classes, how often should you clean?

Cleaning Glock

Jeff: Well, not just taking a few classes, you've had it for years. Well, then I still have friends who clean their Glocks all the time. Keeping it clean won't hurt anything. It's something you rely on, so why not clean it every now and then?

Professional Pistol Cleaning Kit For Glocks

Kevin: Good Jeff. So after a person shoots, and they want to go home and clean their Glock 19, what procedures should they follow to unload it? We have one here. We both confirmed it. It also has a small barrel block, so we know for sure it's loaded. So, we will go through it.

Jeff: First thing, make sure there's no live ammunition in the room, except here (your gun). You open the bag and hold the gun before you touch it to make sure it is in a safe position. Then you remove the magazine, if there is a magazine in it, press the mag release, pull the magazine out, verify that it is empty.

Jeff: Now, when I go to put out a fire, I do it in my bathroom, and I have a toilet in my bathroom. I have a bathroom even though I am in a hotel room. I pull the gun without touching the trigger and I point at the toilet bowl, if it stops, the bullet goes into the water, a little slower, porcelain, hit, standing there it breaks the toilet , I don't want to do anything. I have to turn off the water valve so I don't flood the house and I have to call my plumber, so I'm very motivated not to do that. Then I racked the slide three times and put my finger in the mag to make sure there was no magazine in there, which I just took out. I repeat three times. That way, if I do it in sequence and rack it once, I might see a round, but if I see another round coming, I probably didn't take the magazine out.

So after I rack it three times, I open the slide. If you have very small fingers, you have to turn your body, but you still put nuts in the toilet bowl. So you open the slide and then check again. There's no magazine, and you put your finger in the chamber to make sure there's no round in the chamber, and you look down through the mag to see daylight. You check visually and by touch to make sure the extinguisher is fully inflated. Now, I still refer to the toilet bowl. With a Glock, you have to squeeze the trigger to disengage. Any gun but this one I wouldn't part with a round in the chamber. I let the slide go forward and point it at the toilet bowl, I squeeze the trigger. Then, I release the pressure on the spring and pull the slide back a little. It is slightly smaller and you will feel a small click when you do it. Then, here is the release lever. It's a slide release, and you have to push it down on both sides at once. Then, let the slide come forward. It will come soon. Now I have the frame and I have the slide. On the slide, I buy the recoil spring and barrel. We basically have four main parts of cleaning now.

Tekmat Tekr17glockg5 Original Cleaning Mat Glock Gen5 Parts Diagram 11\

Jeff: We now divide the gun into four

Glock 17 cleaning instructions, glock 22 cleaning kit, cleaning glock 26, glock gun cleaning kit, glock cleaning, 9mm glock cleaning kit, cleaning glock 23, glock 17 cleaning kit, cleaning a glock 17, glock 19 cleaning mat, glock cleaning hickok45, cleaning glock barrel